P170HM - black screen, lapstop boots up. 7970m blind flash

Magnusson2004

Hi All :)

I am new here to this forum.

I have a question..I bought a 7970m (Clevo version) for my P170HM from eBay...The seller did list it as faulty/not working and explained that it had worked but after an update it did not work...I bought it hoping that I was lucky :)

But all I get is a black screen, the laptop boots up ...but gives me nothing. No beep or lights flashing. Black screen and the laptop starts up. I have tried blind flashing, but did not help.

Is there anything I can do to "save" it or is it actually dead? I actually think it has been baked/reflowed, as the stickers look burnt. Can a wiz in here do some magic so that it works again?

It is v. 1.2 with a vbios: BR43595.003 and was used in an Alienware M15x...but I did blind flash it.

Here is the card from eBay:

post-27276-1449499801385_thumb.png

Thanks in advance!

Michael

What vBIOS did you flash on? There is a specific vBIOS that must be flashed for the 7970m to work on HM series, otherwise it's a black screen as you describe.

Hi :)

I used the 7970m modded vbios fil from Notebookreview...from Jaybee: (hope it is ok that I mention a name and link to the site!)

[GUIDE] - Blind-Flashing AMD 7970M modded vBIOS for Clevo P1xxHM Laptops

• 3 weeks later...

So..have tried to use Yohsey´s vbios and others...nothing happens :( Guessing the card is bricked from the beginning. Have tried in the 2 laptops that I own...they do start up, no dangerously blinking lights or sounds..normal start up..but totally black screen.

If the card is bricked...is there a kind soul on here, that lives in Europe and is capable of soldering a new vbios chip on the card? (Will pay of course!!) :)

It's a rather large chip with only 8 pins, so you could do it yourself (svl7 has made a nice guide). But if you want, I could do it for you; have a programmer, so you won't need a pre-programmed chip, a blank would do (=cheaper). Don't think I can test it for you though; customized my 7970m heatsink for a Dell model, the Clevo has a different IC arrangement. No cash required, just shipping costs, unless you want it tested; takes me an hour or so to hacksaw all the little heatsinks.

Of course, there's no guarantee that a new vbios will actually do the trick, something else could be amiss.

For the record, you did test non-EUFI boot?

Oh, and think this is the most recent vbios for this model (and the one I'd flash):

v024_ne_7970M_clevo_BR43595.003.zip

Europe, email me and I'll send you my address.

And not sure, but non-EUFI might help if it's a modified vbios, iirc the UEFI section isn't affected when modifying (so perhaps enduro is still enabled on uefi part?). Try non-uefi and a bootable usb, make sure the correct boot order is set. Hm, though you would have done so anyway, otherwise blind-flash is impossible ... And sure, send heatsink along, have a different Clevo, but same layout, think it'll fit.

Do you have a new vbios chip yet? If not; see if you can still make out the part nr. and order a new one, a blank one is about $2 (inc. shipping). The old one might still be flashable with a programmer, but better to rule out a faulty chip for that price ...

A Dell AMD card won't work in a Clevo no matter what vBIOS. It uses a different thermal sensor which the Clevo EC can't read which in return results in a thermal shutdown.

Also only the old 7970M Clevo cards work in HM shells, the newer ones even with correct vBIOS result in a permanent driver crash.