P150EM 95% gamut screen overclocked

Khenglish

So I successfully raised my refresh rate from the default 60Hz to 85Hz with no artifacts on the AUO B156HW01 V4 screen, which is the matte 95% gamut screen found in 15.6" clevo laptops.

This was vastly complicated by Intel's strict adherence to the screen's EDID, with no support for EDID overrides. If clevo's had a direct connection option between the dGPU and the screen then I could have just done this by software means, but since the IGP is in control of the display, it was necessary to desolder the EDID chip and place it in my programmer.

imgur: the simple image sharer

imgur: the simple image sharer

The top 8 pins on the programmer insert had to be removed to properly connect the EDID chip, which is solder onto the tiny MSOP8 section of the insert. What I did was I partially disassembled the screen so that the pcb was not directly against the plasting back of the screen so that I could use my heat gun to remove and replace the EDID chip. You can see in the top photo that I also put a file between the screen and pcb to make sure I did not melt the screen. The EDID chip is a GT24C01 and I made the changes to the files with a hex editor. The changes I made were to raise the pixel clock rate for both detailed timing descriptors, raising the default 60Hz to 85Hz, and raising the low power 50Hz mode to 60Hz so that games that did not like non-60Hz refresh rates (diablo 3) could still be run at 60Hz. This required altering the checksum or else the laptop would through out the entire EDID and boot with a very corrupted image.

My results were 85Hz with no artifacts on my not broken screen, and 96Hz on my previous damaged screen. 90Hz was almost stable on the unbroken screen, and the 96Hz on the broken screen would occasionally have artifacts depending on the particular plug-in attempt, so it seems that the damaged screen is 5-7Hz better than the undamaged. I thought of swapping the signal processing chips, but that could easily go very wrong and did not seem worth less than 10Hz.

Common issues when the refresh rate was too high was the dithering algorithm going haywire so that all colors were messed up, and vertical or horizontal lines. When lowering the refresh rate back down after booting at one that was too high, the lines would not always disappear.

http://i.imgur.com/8tgZwPJ.png

• Thumbs Up 4