W230SS + Ubuntu 14.04 LTS + NVIDIA = Fail :-(

brizzio

Hello guys,

I'm trying to get my GTX860M working on Ubuntu 14.04 for months without success. I'll describe everything I've done just to avoid unnecessary/redundant tips:

1) I've removed every trace of old nvidia packages using sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*

2) I've tried proprietary drivers and also the repository ones from edgers/ppa with sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa

3) I've tried the installation from CLI using sudo apt-get install nvidia-35x nvidia-settings nvidia-prime (where "x" was EVERY single version available on repository)

4) I've tried to switch between GPUs using prime-select/switch with no sucess

5) I've tried to install proprietary drivers from GUI using the "Additional Drivers" wizard... no success

What I mean with "no success" is: just after the installation, I reboot my W230SS and the system starts in text mode EVERY SINGLE TIME... I've tried to login and force one or other GPU using prime-select but nothing.

I'm using Prema BIOS for this laptop but I cant believe this could lead to such problem. I also cant beliebe I'm the only one person in the world trying to use Linux on a Clevo W230SS... I hope someone can help me. I'll appreciate.

Edit #1: I also have Windows 8.1 in another partition and the GPUs are all working fine... the problem is the Linux OS.

Best regards,

FABrizzolla

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Fabrizzio,

What I mean with "no success" is: just after the installation, I reboot my W230SS and the system starts in text mode EVERY SINGLE TIME... I've tried to login and force one or other GPU using prime-select but nothing.

That's awesome news, what you call "text mode" will be more than enough to hopefully get you up and running. Could you please give me the output of your X session errors?

Hint: Look under /var/log/Xorg*.log, and xsession-errors.log in your home also.

Also, i would like to know what session manager do you use? What desktop environment?

You were talking about the xorg edgers PPA, i wouldnt recommend using them unless you got everything to work properly already without them. Before trying anything else, please make sure you have used the "ppa-purge" command, which not only removes the repository information but also will roll back any package your system might be running from them.

Last, i would like to know your kernel version (You can post the result of the command "uname -a" here).

Best,

Doodloo.

I own the same HW and running Ubuntu 14.04 with prop. nVidia Drivers on it.

All runs fine...

Me too, but i however have a P150SM-A and GTX970M. The canonical repo proprietary drivers worked for me as well (With many distros actually: 14.04LTS, 15.04, Deb::Jessie, OpenSuze).

That's why we should have a look at Fab's logs ;)

• 2 weeks later...