Looking for R9 m290x vbios for P377sm

aarpcard

Hey all,

I've been a longtime member on the forums at notebook review and also a lurker on here for quite some time.

I recently just bought a p377sm-a barebones. I put two 7970m cards in the machine out of my Alienware M17x R2. Both cards are clevo cards. Everything works fine except for digital video out - i.e. HDMI and Displayport. Analogue out via Display Port to VGA adapter works fine.

After asking asking for advice on notebookreview, I believe this is an issue with the vbios not being entirely compatible with the system bios. I also flashed the bios to the premamod bios. As such I have tried the following:

Flashed the 7970m's to vbios 15.19 which is for the p270em. Didn't fix the issue.

Flashed to the 15.21 vbios which is for the p370sm. Didn't fix the issue.

Flashed to the 8970m vbios for the p570sm. Didn't fix the issue and had no video at all. Had to blind flash back.

Flashed to the 8970m vbios for the p370em. Didn't fix the issue. However, windows detected the cards as 8970m's and everything ran completely fine as 8970m's.

Flashed to the R9 m290x vbios for the p570. Didn't fix the issue and had no video at all. Had to blind flash back.

I tried to find the R9 m290x vbios for the p377 but didn't have any luck finding it. I think that might be the vbios I need to make this work. Obviously the bios is looking for a vbios with both p370 or p377 tags and 7970m, 8970m, or R9 m290x tags. Since the only official AMD card that the p377sm-a supports is the R9 m290x, I think that is the vbios I need to try flashing. However I could only find that vbios for the p570.

Does anyone have the vbios for the R9 m290x in the p377sm-a? I can't find it anywhere and I think this might solve my issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
R9 M290x = 8970M. So I don't think you can use that Vbios for the 7970M or am I mistaken? I can send you an official clevo vbios for the P370SM, would that perhaps help?

Later 7970m boards used the same pcb as the 8970m, so for them the vBIOS may be interchangeable. This is why older Clevo 7970m cards have a higher revision number than the later cards, as the revision number referred to the PCB used, and not the card as a whole. I'm not sure I would risk flashing the vBIOS though unless the OP has a programmer to revert it in case it bricks.

OP if your cards say v1.1 on the back they share the same board as the 8970m. If they say v1.2 they are older and do not. If they are v1.2 then they can also run a Dell 7970m vBIOS. v1.1 may be able to run Dell vBIOS too, but I am not sure. Just one more thing to try for HDMI.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running one 1.1 card and one 1.2 card. Both worked as 8970m's when flashed with the P370sm 8970m vbios.

Would my laptop take a P370SM bios? If so, I'm sure this will fix the issue. I've read that some people have done this, but I'm not convinced of the risk?

I'm running one 1.1 card and one 1.2 card. Both worked as 8970m's when flashed with the P370sm 8970m vbios.

Would my laptop take a P370SM bios? If so, I'm sure this will fix the issue. I've read that some people have done this, but I'm not convinced of the risk?

NO! They use a different EC controller among other hardware changes...

NO! They use a different EC controller among other hardware changes...

Good to know - thanks! Figured as much anyway.

Swapping to GTX 970m's is not immediately viable for me. Does no one really have a R9 m290x vbios for the P377sm? The laptop was supposed to ship with that as an option. I have the means to reflash the card(s) in the event there is a bad flash.

Good to know - thanks! Figured as much anyway.

Swapping to GTX 970m's is not immediately viable for me. Does no one really have a R9 m290x vbios for the P377sm? The laptop was supposed to ship with that as an option. I have the means to reflash the card(s) in the event there is a bad flash.

This is the official P370SM-A Neptune XT vBIOS!

hBR44618.rar

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...