$0 spent and -10/-7 Celcius (G75VW)

Hey guys, after I got my hands on svl7's modified vBIOS, I've basically got it overclocked with what I can do. I noticed the fan isn't spinning up 100% even at temps above 70C and I was wondering, "Hmmm, how can I address this?"

So after a little bit of thought I took a look inside the computer. The fans have 4 cables running to them red is positive, black is negative, blue is pwm, and yellow is the fan's rpm's. I figured, "Hmm what if I just took that little blue wire out, put some electrical tape around it and just left it out of the molex connector that hooks up to the motherboard?"

Welp, the fans sure do spin up, they are a little on the louder side at 100% but it doesn't bother me at all. That just means a cooler cpu and gpu :)

Apparently you can take out the pwm wire and the fan will default at 100%, basically as a built in failsafe. Since the one thing that svl7's vbios lacked was fan control (which is, alas, not possible in the vbios at all) I took the more manual approach. The good things about it are 1) It lowered my cpu temps by 10C and my gpu temps by 7C during benchmarking, which means a little more over clocking room for me as long as the voltage is ample to handle it. 2) I didn't have to cut any cables, trim or solder any wires, all I did was loosen the wire from its connector, which means no physical damage to the computer. And 3) It finally utilizes the awesome cooling potential this laptop has built into it to its fullest extent.

PS: This mod will ruin your warranty a billion times over. Good thing about it, you can just connect the wire back up and it's like nothing was ever messed with at all :P

post-11770-14494995080089_thumb.jpg

I've attached a picture of the fan and the blue wire if you wish to do this yourself. Also, I attached a PDF that shows how to properly disassemble the laptop! Happy over clocking :D

EDIT: Also, an explanation for how to disconnect the wire without damaging anything. You will need a very small flathead screwdriver, but on the side of the molex connector, you will see 4 little tabs, those tabs are holding the wires in place. Once you lift that tab up (BE CAREFUL), just tug a little on the wire and it should pop right out! Easy as that! Also,make sure to cover the end in electrical tape. Don't want that floating around in your laptop and shorting something out. Also, make sure its secured and wont move around. I just covered the end, then taped the end to the bezel of the fan. Kept it in place and no shorting stuff out :)

G75 series Service Guide.pdf

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have been trying to figure out what speed is full rpm's. I run boinc at full speed to see what speeds my fans get up to and get 3600 for the cpu and 3200 for the gpu. I was wondering what the maximum speed is for both the cpu and gpu fan.

• 9 months later...
I have been trying to figure out what speed is full rpm's. I run boinc at full speed to see what speeds my fans get up to and get 3600 for the cpu and 3200 for the gpu. I was wondering what the maximum speed is for both the cpu and gpu fan.

There are no exact numbers out there (unless you dismantle the laptop and search the fans model number) but according to the rog forums the fans on the G75 series max out at around 4000rpm. :40_002: