M18xR2 GTX 680M SLI - 60 FPS Temp brake?

overdriven

Hi,

I've a problem with my Alienware M18xR2 GTX 680M SLI.

Example:

I start Borderlands 2 with MAX Graphics Settings in Fullscreen Mode on 1920x1080.

V-Synch is OFF (Turned off in the Nvidia Control Panel->Global 3D Settings)

The FPS are from 120 to 180FPS

When the GPU's going over >60°C the FPS dropping immediately down to locked 60FPS.

That happens everytime and in every Game.

Tested Games:

Borderlands 2

Battlefield 3

NFS Most Wanted (2012)

Dishonored

GPU-Z Screenshot:

post-6850-14494993883977_thumb.gif

Hardware Specs:

Core i7-3920XM @ 4,1GHz

32GB DDR-3 RAM

2xSamsung 830 256GB SSD

1xWD 500GB HDD

Dual GTX 680M SLI

Network Killer WLAN Card

Tested Drivers:

306.97 (Dell)

306.97 (Nvidia)

310.33 (Nvidia BETA)

EDIT: Also tested with the new 310.61 Beta Driver

Is there a way to turn this 60 FPS brake off?

Thank you!

oh, i was just wondering about throttling in the m18x-r2. so they have the same issue like the new m14x-r2 boards? :/ this sucks. especially with the bios now being locked for any downgrading to unlocked ones... :/

sorry, i'm no big help here... i had a similar problem on my new m14x-r2 and was trying to get around it with @svl7, but in the end i ended up exchanging the mainboard of a little bit older m14x-r2 with mine, since i had an unlocked bios on there...

did you do a repaste yet? just helps keeping the temps down, but not a real solution either...

edit: BTW, what bios version do you have on your m18x?

• Thumbs Up 1

hi there

ah i see. now i'm not familiar with the m18x's bios version yet, so i'm sure any m18x user on here is able to help you :) just hold on for a moment until someone saw the thread! :) but imo you have a way better starting point than i will have once my m18x arrives with the all ne all locked up BS bios... ;(

Hi deadbydawn,

I downgraded from A08 to A03 because the A08 Bios Version bricked the SLI function on the M18x R2 :(

So i have A03 now.

How easy did you find it to do the downgrade on the Bios flash? I'm on A08 and would like to downgrade to use an unlocked Bios.

• Founder
@ ht_addict

just follow follow this post http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x/1981-how-recover-bad-flash-alienware-m18x-r2.html its really easy to downgrade.

Hi brian,

60C is really low for graphiccards thats true.

the vbios of my graphiccards is really new can this cause this problem?

Post a dump of your vbios and @svl7 can take a look.

Sent from my GT-N7000

• 2 weeks later...
deadbydawn, did you recieved your m18x-r2?

If yes can you comfirm the the fps throttle at ~60 degrees?

yeah i got it in the mean time, but have been fighting with memory issues, which i now solved though. what do you use to measure fps, fraps? i will do a test later on. earlier today i was playing max payne without noticing that hwinfo fancontrol was not acitve. so the default fancontrol was on and things got a lot warmer than usually (cpu went to 81 max and gpu to 69 at one point). i was logging with gpu-z and saw, that the temp of the gpu didn't do anything to the clock, even at 69 degrees the coreclock was maxed out.

i also noticed though that the clock of the 680s was 718 and didn't go higher, even though i set +100 / +300 in MSI AB.

anyways, will test the fps thing with whatever tool you are using later on and get back to you.

I've read that some people have throttling problems with 680m sli when increasing the core clock over 100mhz, if I recall the same issues were encountered with 580m sli but there were a fix for this.

If Borderlands 2 is anything like Borderlands, you need to disable vsync and increase the MaxSmoothedFrameRate or it will be capped at 60 FPS (or whatever number it is set at). Just set it way higher than necessary.

Make this change to the WillowEngine.ini file in your \Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config folder:

[Engine.GameEngine]

bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE

MinSmoothedFrameRate=22

MaxSmoothedFrameRate=162