need a guide for 6970 - Enabling Overdrive and Undervolting your m18x

taola16

@taola16 Yes that guide and method is okay for enabling overdrive Revelator posted here about it to. Undervolting will be good on stock clocks or a low overclock but i don't undervolt since it also lowers your max clocks. RBE is like fuel for 6970m... i actually don't bother with overdrive either... i use Sapphire trixx with cards synced and ulps disabled via the app (i find it helps to have it start at windows start once with ulps option set to disabled helps make sure ulps is off and stays off) I test on Sapphire so I don't set anything permanent till i know they are good clocks. So then i flash my cards to 3d clocks on all power profiles so my cards run at top performance 24/7... believe it or not the 2D performance is enhanced when the cards run at 3d clocks and not a pitiful 100/150 core/mem etc...

see here to i posted more of what you wanted to see here.

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x/268-official-alienware-m18x-owners-lounge-7.html#post14920

@mw86 thanks for reply quickly ! i''ll read ur theard first, and decide which is better way . can my M18x cf 6790 run 24/7 if i overdrive and undervolting ?

if you mean run 3dclocks like i mentioned all time then yes... undervolt is okay for stock clocks or medium overclock... lower volts too much and it will just crash. Overdrive is to be able to overclock as from Catalyst... Sapphire trixx works well too but Overdrive is straight from AMD. The way i posted is just as or involved as the overdrive steps and uses same program but instead of using regular 2d clocks and powersaving... the method i describe locks max speed at all times on the cards... ulps must be disabled. Theres risks involved with flashing so be careful and ask questions if unsure rather than trial and error which could cause a bad flash.

"can my M18x cf 6790 run 24/7 if i overdrive and undervolting?

I mentioned the undervolt as for running a undervolt at stock clocks and leaving them at full 3d clocks 24/7 it should be safe as long as if you do overclock its not too high since you are lowering voltage. I think i mention in the guide i use fans at max 24/7 too as soon as system boots using Hwinfo and properly making it start as a basic task in task scheduler and adding the command that enables fans to start at launch of hwinfo and minimized... to its config file. Temps will be inherently higher with my method but usually the fans do very well at keeping those temps down... i recommend if your are capable and haven't if testing your system reveals high temps especially on the video cards memory like 90c during gaming then you should attempt a repaste of the stock thermal paste to something that is better. Again hwinfo is a great free program and it also helps with monitoring harware info and temps... like gpu temps etc.

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

after read ur theard i decide to stop flash because i don't understand clearly. i think i need more time to learn about flash. Thanks bro mw86 so much. If anybody here have a video or picture that show step by step

okay in the link to my post i posted this link to the guide by RBE themselves... Tutorial on how to use RBE (Radeon BIOS Editor) | techPowerUp

if you check that guide out from RBE's creators them glance at what i mentioned again you should be right on track. For now take time to learn its safer that way. The easiest way to overclock is actually using Saphire Trixx and nothing else at all. it can disable ulps for you (required to overclock both gpus evenly) also that app has profiles and hotkey function and even can start at windows start and automatically set your overclock at start up. So if you'd like simple and effective then Trixx is truly easiest method of all.

• Thumbs Up 1