AW M18X R2 issue with upgrading to 880M SLI

zorg85

Guys, please help!

I am trying to upgrade my M18X from 675M to 880M.

The cards were ordered from upgradeyourlaptop(upgrade kit of two 880M),

There was almost one week of stable work of new configuration but

two days ago something happened.

While turning the laptop on I see that it is loading but the screen is dark.

the light sensor in the head shows system loading.

No sound signals.

Yesterday we tried to remove new 880's and set up old 675's.

The system works fine,screen shows the picture and I use it.

Now I try to set up only one 880M at prumary slot: the first attempt was unluck(card wasn't detected)

second atempt was good(another card appears in the system).

Next step I set up both cards(one working in the primary slot and the other one in slave) without SLI cable - nothing happened, windows didn't load(It was just loading screen for infinite time), with SLI cable there was startup repair and restore, system asked to restore because of it can't start automatically.(Bios detected both cards Nvidia GTX)

Unfortunately I am new to this forum so I can't attach pics, but I will describe :

Startup Repair shows following problems:

Problem signature:

Problem Event name: Startup repair offline

Problem signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem signature 03: unknown

Problem signature 04: 167

Problem signature 05: Auto Failover

Problem signature 06: 1

Problem signature 07: BadPatch

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

So as a result it was system restore failed

Error code = 0x1f

and system file integrity check and repair failed with error code = 0x490

In addition can say that there was one feature:

sometimes in any game it was permanent FPS losses, example:

stable gaming with V-sync and 60FPS it was 3-5 minutes with stressed 15-20FPS.

the temperature was not over 75"C.

Basic temperature: 55' C(131'F) while rest and

FurMark test by 20 minutes: 80-82'C(176-179'F) stressed.

You may have bad cards, but it might also be the CMOS. Try taking it out and pushing down on the power button for 30 seconds. I remember that when I take out my cards and put them back in I always get a black screen with 6 beeps (do you get any beeps?), but after reseating the cmos, everything works fine.

Another possibility is that they may have sent you 2 slave cards instead of a master and a slave, but I think that is unlikely.

You may have bad cards, but it might also be the CMOS. Try taking it out and pushing down on the power button for 30 seconds. I remember that when I take out my cards and put them back in I always get a black screen with 6 beeps (do you get any beeps?), but after reseating the cmos, everything works fine.

Another possibility is that they may have sent you 2 slave cards instead of a master and a slave, but I think that is unlikely.

Sniper,thanks for advice.

I tried this a few times.

Noyhing changed.I got only one card that works fine alone in master slot.

The other one in this slot doesn't post.

When I set them together with or without SLI cable I got never ending loading screen and nothing more.

What do you mean one master card and one slave?

Is it possible to make one card master and other slave fisically?

I thought that this makes only by the slot.

I'm not an expert in any way in this sort of stuff, so with that being said:

Master and Slave cards were what I heard of when I was trying to do an upgrade of a single ATI GPU in my older system. You needed a master and a slave for crossfire to work, but only a master for a single card.

So this master and slave thing may only be with both the older nvidia cards, or ati cards in general, or both. In fact, it most likely is because with my SLI setup right now, I've never heard of NVIDIA GeForce cards having a master and slave card and a master and slave slot. Probably because they are newer cards.

DISREGARD WHAT I SAID ABOUT MASTER AND SLAVE CARDS! It most likely does not correspond to this issue that you have!

I'm pretty sure that a slave card has different coding than a master card, meaning it's supposed to work only with another card of the same type (ATI 3870m Master with a ATI 3870m Slave).

In fact, more than likely, if you put the slave card in the master slot and the master card in the slave slot, I don't think you would get a post using a single card, because both cards are in the incorrect slots. Don't quote me on this though. That's my interpretation of it.

So NOW with THAT BEING said:

You probably have a faulty card, which is most likely the one that doesn't post.

Could you post pictures so I could see what is happening?

Hi,SniperTNT.

Unfortunately I am new to this forum,so this post will be the last after it I can load pics or downlaod something.

Also there is no pictures to post, because I only have black screen and light signals that system loading.

I found a similar thread to myne on this forum and try to ask for help there.

I think the truth is out there.

And I hope the card is OK, because it's impossible to get both cards wotking for a week and then one card just stopped working.

Both of them are completely new, bought from Eurocom, Nvidia chips e.t.c.

Or maybe I am wrong and I have one card dead. It will be very bad.

Appreciate for help.