Thread: Memory for M18x R2

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Memory for M18x R2

I just traded for a M18x R2. Right now it has generic 1600(CL11). Would I notice a difference if i went with Kingston HyperX 1600(CL9) or 1866(CL11)?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Memory for M18x R2

Quote Originally Posted by ht_addict View Post
    I just traded for a M18x R2. Right now it has generic 1600(CL11). Would I notice a difference if i went with Kingston HyperX 1600(CL9) or 1866(CL11)?
    Technically both of those would provide a improvement over your current ram. But is it worth the cost over already owning those chips? Hard to say ad depends if you dont mind paying more for something not that much faster. Overall in most apps and games you wont see much of a difference unless you always use the system for rendering or major long term work loads and in that case yes the performance of those upgrades will finish work faster over a hour plus of work.
    The gpu depends less on Ram than an Intel IGP... If you use Intel IGP often there actually will be vast improvements using faster ram. This is because the Intel IGP depends completely on your system ram to be shared with the IGP.
    In most cases lower speed and lower latency is faster in ram than higher speed but higher latency. In this case though I do believe the hyperx would be faster even at Cl11

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2
    UnlockM18xBIOS Alienware 18

Spoiler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can memory be overclocked in the Bios of the M18x? In the M17 I would change the setting but nothing would happen.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ht_addict View Post
    Can memory be overclocked in the Bios of the M18x? In the M17 I would change the setting but nothing would happen.
    In most cases it acts the same but some plug and play modules have been knkwn to be unlocked in a sense amd allow those options by xmp profile to take effect... Sometimes the values can differ slightly once you boot to windows.
    Some ram can be programmed by Thaiphoon Burner or another one i forget. Advanced users could probably find a way to use a Hexeditor to do the editing and flash ram in windows to custom values as I learned from a discussion with SVL7. You can change only timings and stick with the speeds available in your ram if its plug and play in the bios. The program Intel XTU can change a few of those values too on some.
    If one actually wants to utilize ram speeds on a particular module not already programmed into the chips SPD profile than you will need to utilize one of the methods like Thaiphoon Burner.
    I hope that answers your question.
    Example of some ram behavior... I have Kinston 1600Mhz XMP based only stock 1333MHz and they cannot be set via our bios to anything other than how it came unless i was to flash them instead.
    If you plan to overclock or adjust some in the bios than i suggest be sure the ram you select is plug and play and even better id check to see if others got the particular model you choose to adjust in that way.

Spoiler

Alienware-L_Porras
    1600 hyperX won't be noticeable, 1866 CL11 might be a little upgrade. I would just stay as you are.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how much ram do you have in your m18xr2? if you have just 8gb, upgrading to the faster 1866 might be more worth your while. if your going from 1600(C11) to 1600(C9) the difference is nothing you can see.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticSoldier View Post
    how much ram do you have in your m18xr2? if you have just 8gb, upgrading to the faster 1866 might be more worth your while. if your going from 1600(C11) to 1600(C9) the difference is nothing you can see.
    Much agreed sir. Perhaps guys buy Kingston 2133Mhz plug and play 1.5v CL12 its barely $70 for 2 sticks at 4gb for a total of 8gb. Then there would be even bigger increase in Performance.

Spoiler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This ram seems to run at 13 on the R1.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnksss View Post
    This ram seems to run at 13 on the R1.
    All my custom profiles from thaiphoon burner are set at x amount and once i boot to windows the actually latency is either same or up to one higher than what is set. So when i program 12-12-12 if the decimal measurement of that in the timing table editor is close enough to 13 it will boot 13in windows and all the rest for some reason in our M18xR1 as you mention happens on your Kingston 2133. Try rolling each of the first timings by one adjustment down and it might just by that boot windows at the normal Kingston Cl12 timing. Look at my 10-10-10-27 timing and you'll see its actually a form of 9-9-9-26 in thaiphoon burner but loads 10-10-10-27 on boot. Email me John about what you tried and we can both see how far we can get

Spoiler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on Kingston HyperX @ 1866. You'd be better off going with the 1600mhz model, because Alienwares maximum processor transfer speed with RAM is 1600mhz. That's the hardware limit, so it won't go any faster than that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast