Mobility Radeon HD 5870 to FirePro M7820 (FireGL) Flashing

Hi!

Just made an experiment....

Since i using Photoshop a lot, decided to grab the ATI FirePro vbios from my friend's Dell Precision M6500.

I flashed it to my MR 5870 take out my 2nd card and ..... NOTHING... My spaceship booted up with black screen....

Did not give me the dell error crap [flashing(caps+croll)+stady num] mean the gpu failed to initialize.

i pluged in my mini pci-e debug card may it give me a clue, it said the POST was completed and handling the call to the OS loader.

So had a nice BLIND Flash... Just for practice :D

It is the limitation the M17X-R2 BIOS or the M7820 VBIOS. My friends dont want me to take his laptop GPU out because is a company property.... :S

I not even sure the FirePro M support the Crossfire PRO or not. Would be nice.

Anyone a thought???

M7820.zip

Maybe the card simply doesn't work with this VBIOS, there might be a hardware difference between those two cards.

You could try to reset the BIOS by removing the battery, this will make sure that it reads in the new hardware ID properly and sorts all addresses... though I don't think it'll help.

• Thumbs Up 1

<style>.wlEmoticon { behavior: url(#default#.WLEMOTICON_WRITER_BEHAVIOR) } img { behavior: url(#default#IMG_WRITER_BEHAVIOR) } .wlWriterEditableSmartContent { behavior: url(#default#.WLWRITEREDITABLESMARTCONTENT_WRITER_BEHAVIOR) } .wlWriterEditableSmartContent > .wlEditField { behavior: url(#default#.WLWRITEREDITABLESMARTCONTENT_>_.WLEDITFIELD_WRITER_BEHAVIOR) } blockquote { behavior: url(#default#BLOCKQUOTE_WRITER_BEHAVIOR) } #extendedEntryBreak { behavior: url(#default##EXTENDEDENTRYBREAK_WRITER_BEHAVIOR) } .postBody table { behavior: url(#default#.POSTBODY_TABLE_WRITER_BEHAVIOR) } .postBody td { behavior: url(#default#.POSTBODY_TD_WRITER_BEHAVIOR) } .postBody th { behavior: url(#default#.POSTBODY_TH_WRITER_BEHAVIOR) } </style><style>.postTitle {margin: 0px 0px 10px 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px;} .postBody {margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; }</style>Tried... Since DELL Tech's tell as to do it every single time we call Technical Support. Guess all dell user around the universe learned that, since we just stumbled around the fire...

Don't even hope The WIZ will release the ver 2 of unlocked BIOS with GPU limitation removed. Nobody heard of the project long time ago...

Maybe the card simply doesn't work with this VBIOS, there might be a hardware difference between those two cards.

You could try to reset the BIOS by removing the battery, this will make sure that it reads in the new hardware ID properly and sorts all addresses... though I don't think it'll help.

Well, I'm not sure whether there's a limitation in the BIOS itself... the BIOS only needs a way to get the VBIOS, that's the idea of the MXM standard, and looking at the M15x and M17x r2 it seems to be implemented pretty well in these systems. But it's of course possible that there are certain limitations...

It's also possible that some of the pins which the fire pro uses are different to the ones on the 5870m, this would ensure that you can't just use a cheaper 5870m instead of a Fire Pro... just an idea.

I'll look into it deeper later on... Interesting i find MR5870 and FirPro M7820 using the same AMD reference circuit. I remember back in time i did gf fx5700 mod to quadro fx1100 with vbios and some of the resistors on the die needed to be repositioined...if i get it working post it anyway. Btw: M7820 has Overdrive enabled by default :D

I don't follow... didn't Svl7's 6970m get bricked with a beta bios wouldn't the incorrect bios cause similar problems?

Not necessarily, if the system is still passes POST you can blind flash the card. (Flashing without seeing any information on the screen).

The 5870 and the firepro m7820 are almost the same cards, on the 4xxx series the firepro and the Radeo HD cards were identical as far as I remember, but it seems this changed and you can't "softmod" a regular card to a slightly more expensive firepro.

Also the driver trick doesn't seem to work anymore. It was possible to use a modded firepro driver with some of the radeon cards which resulted in firepro performance on applications like CAD and similar programs.

<style>.wlEmoticon { behavior: url(#default#.WLEMOTICON_WRITER_BEHAVIOR) } img { behavior: url(#default#IMG_WRITER_BEHAVIOR) } .wlWriterEditableSmartContent { behavior: url(#default#.WLWRITEREDITABLESMARTCONTENT_WRITER_BEHAVIOR) } .wlWriterEditableSmartContent > .wlEditField { behavior: url(#default#.WLWRITEREDITABLESMARTCONTENT_>_.WLEDITFIELD_WRITER_BEHAVIOR) } blockquote { behavior: url(#default#BLOCKQUOTE_WRITER_BEHAVIOR) } #extendedEntryBreak { behavior: url(#default##EXTENDEDENTRYBREAK_WRITER_BEHAVIOR) } .postBody table { behavior: url(#default#.POSTBODY_TABLE_WRITER_BEHAVIOR) } .postBody td { behavior: url(#default#.POSTBODY_TD_WRITER_BEHAVIOR) } .postBody th { behavior: url(#default#.POSTBODY_TH_WRITER_BEHAVIOR) } </style><style>.postTitle {margin: 0px 0px 10px 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px;} .postBody {margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; }</style>This is the reason i started to working on that. I not necessarily want to have the FirePro but for certain cases would be nice to know that the option are there...

The vbios for firepro m7820 from dell more recent than MR5870 vbios from dell, and has Overdrive.

Check this:

ATI FirePro

ATI FirePro M7820 - Notebookcheck.net Tech

They also used a bios, so from here is not a softmod anymore. If you google for the result of tests softmod is always a bad idea unless you dont have other option. I could also change the ID strings in the MR 5870 BIOS so it disguised as an FirePro, therefore we can install the FirePro/GL drivers. But it is clearly not a FirePro. By it's performance because, disabled units will not be anabled by the MR Bios. but thanks :D

• 1 month later...

Hi, this mod worked for me. (partly)

So I flashed amd firegl 7820 bios on my mobility 5870 and now it still says mobility 5870 but the mobility drivers changed to firegl drivers without doing anything, the only problem I have now is that it only gives display at the dvi port, laptop nor hdmi wont work.. perhaps this bios is for a laptop with dvi and vga, because I got vga options but dont have a vga out..

Note: powerplay works out of the box.

On balanced power settings it crashes (dunno why).

Look at the catalyst pro, and some of the options.

mobilityfireglmod.th.jpg