NOTE: Dell has released the official vbios + flasher which I would recommend using if you do not want to do a manual dos flash: ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/video/R281544.exe
THE FOLLOWING IS THE DOS METHOD OF FLASHING THE NEW 5870M VBIOS INDIVIDUALLY ON EACH VIDEO CARD. THIS MINIMIZES THE RISK OF BRICKING YOUR VIDEO CARDS:
Important points to note before updating the 5870m beta vbios:
1) This VBIOS is ONLY for the 5870 cards and works with single or crossfire confingurations. There is currently no update needed for the 4870 cards.
2) This VBIOS will flash your card to the latest revision.
3) You MUST load the 8.763 video driver stack BEFORE flashing your VBIOS. If you flash before you load the newer video drivers, the result will be endless BSODs. Safe mode or VGA mode will work around this… Once you have the new VBIOS, you can’t use the 8.6xx driver stack any more.
4) It is recommended you download and install the 10.8a Crossfire Applications Profile along with the Dell 8.763 driver release.
By using the manual dos flashing method rather than flashing within Windows, you reduce the risk of bricking your cards. Furthermore, you will now have the ability to revert back to the old shipping vbios should you desire.
Step 1: Download all the following files as they will be needed throughout this guide.
1. Download the HP USB Key Utility: HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - v2.1.8 Download - EXTREME Overclocking
2. Download the Windows 98 system files: Windows 98 System Files Download - EXTREME Overclocking
3. Download Atiflash files: techPowerUp! :: Download ATIFlash 3.79
4. Download the new Dell beta vbios files from here: Dell 5870m beta vbios
Step 2: Creating a Bootable USB Drive to Flash to GPU
1. Install the HP USB Key Utility
2. Launch the HP USB Key Utility and do the following:
- Insert your USB thumb drive.
- Select File system as "FAT32"
- Select Format Option as "Create a DOS bootable Disk..."
- Checkmark the box that says, "Quick Format"
- Locate the directory you extracted the Win98 files.
- Format the USB key using the the Win98 files.
3. Copy the extracted files from the DellBetaVbios.rar file onto your usb key.
Step 3: Flashing Your GPU's vBios to the new beta vBios
1. Make sure your usb is plugged in and system is on AC power.
3. Press F12 at the Alienware Logo screen.
4. Select "Boot from USB"
5. At the Command Prompt, type in "atiflash -p 0 dellb0.rom” (without the quotes) to flash the master card. Then after it has been flashed, type, “atiflash –p 1 dellb1.rom” (without the quotes) to flash the secondary/slave card. Once the flash process has completed, you may remove the USB key and reboot