Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Items for Sale

ATi/AMD 5870M Vbios Flash

NOTE: Dell has released the official vbios + flasher which I would recommend using if you do not want to do a manual dos flash: ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/video/R281544.exe

------------------------------------------

THE FOLLOWING IS THE DOS METHOD OF FLASHING THE NEW 5870M VBIOS INDIVIDUALLY ON EACH VIDEO CARD. THIS MINIMIZES THE RISK OF BRICKING YOUR VIDEO CARDS:

Important points to note before updating the 5870m beta vbios:

1) This VBIOS is ONLY for the 5870 cards and works with single or crossfire confingurations. There is currently no update needed for the 4870 cards.

2) This VBIOS will flash your card to the latest revision.

3) You MUST load the 8.763 video driver stack BEFORE flashing your VBIOS. If you flash before you load the newer video drivers, the result will be endless BSODs. Safe mode or VGA mode will work around this… Once you have the new VBIOS, you can’t use the 8.6xx driver stack any more.

4) It is recommended you download and install the 10.8a Crossfire Applications Profile along with the Dell 8.763 driver release.

By using the manual dos flashing method rather than flashing within Windows, you reduce the risk of bricking your cards. Furthermore, you will now have the ability to revert back to the old shipping vbios should you desire.

Step 1: Download all the following files as they will be needed throughout this guide.

1. Download the HP USB Key Utility: HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - v2.1.8 Download - EXTREME Overclocking

2. Download the Windows 98 system files: Windows 98 System Files Download - EXTREME Overclocking

3. Download Atiflash files: techPowerUp! :: Download ATIFlash 3.79

4. Download the new Dell beta vbios files from here: Dell 5870m beta vbios

Step 2: Creating a Bootable USB Drive to Flash to GPU

1. Install the HP USB Key Utility

2. Launch the HP USB Key Utility and do the following:
    - Insert your USB thumb drive.
    - Select File system as "FAT32"
    - Select Format Option as "Create a DOS bootable Disk..."
    - Checkmark the box that says, "Quick Format"
    - Locate the directory you extracted the Win98 files.
    - Format the USB key using the the Win98 files.

3. Copy the extracted files from the DellBetaVbios.rar file onto your usb key.

Step 3: Flashing Your GPU's vBios to the new beta vBios

1. Make sure your usb is plugged in and system is on AC power.

2. Reboot.

3. Press F12 at the Alienware Logo screen.

4. Select "Boot from USB"

5. At the Command Prompt, type in "atiflash -p 0 dellb0.rom” (without the quotes) to flash the master card. Then after it has been flashed, type, “atiflash –p 1 dellb1.rom” (without the quotes) to flash the secondary/slave card. Once the flash process has completed, you may remove the USB key and reboot
    AMD 7970M Xfire vs. 680M SLI Review | All Powerful Alienware Steam Group | 680M SLI + BF3 Video

Desktop: Corsair C70 Vengeance | ASUS Maximus V Formula | Intel 3770K@4.5 GHz | EVGA SC Geforce GTX TITAN SLI | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 MHz | Corsair H100i | Corsair AX1200i PSU | Samsung PM 840 500 GB + 1 TB Seagate 7200 RPM | CM Storm Cherry MX Blue | Logitech Z506 5.1
    Display:LG 27EA83-D (LOVE IT!)
    Laptop: Sony VAIO SVS15 - 4.4 lbs of awesomeness.
    Phone: Nokia 1520 - Yellow. Best.Phone.EVER.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Brian,

Nice guide. I'd just add a little note - when I did the above (it was few months ago when it was released), using Dell's flash software, it didn't want to work with my 8GB USB drive. It complained about it being > 4GB, so made a bootable DVD for flashing VBIOS. Probably a minor thing, but just FYI.
    "Bellatrix" Intel i5-3570K | G.Skill Sniper 8GB | GeForce 660 Ti | Intel 330 180GB SSD | Samsung Spinpoint 2TB | Corsair TX650 & Carbide 400R | Dell U2412M IPS | Razer Deathadder & Scarab | NZXT Hue RGB LED lighting | FiiO E7 DAC | Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro | Logitech G710+ Mechanical Keyboard
    Thinkpad X200 tablet "Fort-Liberty" C2D 1.9GHz | SuperBright Outdoor Viewable LCD | Samsung 830 120GB SSD | Ultrabase | Logitech C310 HD |
    Logitech G7 Limited Ed. | Razer Destructor
    Macbook Air 13.3"
    "USS Constellation" Intel Core i5 4250U | 8GB | 128GB SSD | Crimson Red case

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use an 8gb flash usb drive almost daily lately to reflash
    In Game System Monitoring 2900XM Overclocking UnlockM18xBIOS GuideUnlockM18xBios StockM18xBiosGuide Useful Apps/Service Alienware M18x R1 Space Black Anodized Aluminum Avenger DTR

Spoiler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sup guys! Came over from notebook review thought id ask for some knowledge dropped on me. I recently ordered 2 new 5870's for my M17x-R2 to upgrade from my 4870's now dell offerd free home tech to install but im quite worried that hes going to mess my perfectly working computer up if i let him. So the question is. Should i let him do it or is there plenty of info like a step by step guide online for me to do this? also once there installed what steps do i have to take to make sure there working perfectly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Items for Sale
    There's plenty of step by step guides. You can go to our main page and check out the M17x Teardown tutorial: Alienware M17x Teardown & Cooling Modification | Tech|Inferno
    AMD 7970M Xfire vs. 680M SLI Review | All Powerful Alienware Steam Group | 680M SLI + BF3 Video

Desktop: Corsair C70 Vengeance | ASUS Maximus V Formula | Intel 3770K@4.5 GHz | EVGA SC Geforce GTX TITAN SLI | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 MHz | Corsair H100i | Corsair AX1200i PSU | Samsung PM 840 500 GB + 1 TB Seagate 7200 RPM | CM Storm Cherry MX Blue | Logitech Z506 5.1
    Display:LG 27EA83-D (LOVE IT!)
    Laptop: Sony VAIO SVS15 - 4.4 lbs of awesomeness.
    Phone: Nokia 1520 - Yellow. Best.Phone.EVER.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to T|I Zeratual.
    In Game System Monitoring 2900XM Overclocking UnlockM18xBIOS GuideUnlockM18xBios StockM18xBiosGuide Useful Apps/Service Alienware M18x R1 Space Black Anodized Aluminum Avenger DTR

Spoiler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whew those guides are in depth haha i really want to do those thermal pad/paste upgrades too see to make it run much cooler but ill have to wait on that haha the 2 new GPU's werent super cheap lol.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unreal by the way I think it works on greater than 4gb drive as long as you format it the way that was posted with the HP format tool.

Spoiler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey guys so the installation worked perfect but i cant for the life of me figure out how to get the vbios off the dell website keeps starting up the download manager but never downloads anyting the master card came with the correct bios but the slave is sitting at the 20.19 so any help would be great!

Edit- Also i tried brians auto flash from dell but it tells me i do not have the 5870's installed the device manager says i have 2 5800 series so not sure what the problem is also i did a vantage run and got P15564 which seems right.
    Last edited by Zeratual; 04-28-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had similar trouble, I hate using Internet Explorer most of the time, but in this case you may need to use Internet Explorer instead of alternate browser. If downloading using browsers dowload manager than try updating the browser your using, check java version, update flash player and try again after a restart... could be one of those became outdated... I use Filehippo update checker it's free and it does a good job at telling you what you need an update to according to what you have installed. I set it not to start when the system does... but on my mom's system and girlfriends system since I help them on computer I have it start and check for new versions of software at every start.

Spoiler

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast