M17x R2 memory clocks

Hi,

I recently upgraded from 2x 2GB RAM (1066 MHz) to 2x4GB RAM (1333MHz). However, the new memory seems to be still working at 1066 MHz:

7ivR0.png

So, what do I do to make it work on maximum clock @ 1333 MHz? :)

It's been awhile since had the R2. I thought you had options for ram speed ie 1066 and 1333? I don't remember so I guess you don't. What type of ram is this @unreal25. Link to it? I've had a lot of ram work I've done so maybe I can think of what's holding you up. If it's XMP compatible I would apply the xmp profile. Let me know. I may have you get Thaiphoon burner demo and send me a save of your ram profile so I can check your SPD ext tables to see what speeds and timings it has in it. I'm looking to find a version of thaiphoon burner for free an older shareware version which allowed writing to your ram with the demo version. If you can't select 1333. I can edit you ram save and tke the 1066 profile out which would make your R2 run 1333 since it would probably be the only option left and would therefore force boot at 1333mhz. :) let me know :)

Edit: I see the spd ext in hwinfo pic in that table. 1333 is in there. So if you can't set ram frequency via bios my idea will work to force 1333mhz. Must be R2 is internally setting 1066mhz.

@unreal25

It's G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)Newegg.com - G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Laptop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBSQ

(it's the top rated 2x4GB RAM on Newegg with Lifetime warranty). I have no clue what's going on. In BIOS it also says 1333 MHz even though I don't think that may be the actual timing (since both HWInfo64 and CPU-Z report 1066 MHz). Also unrelated but R2 stock BIOS is a freaking joke. Intel 486 CPU I had 15 years ago had more BIOS options. RAM itself is working fine -- I also have another set and get the same result 1066 MHz. Basically what happened is 2 years ago when I was customizing the laptop through Dell website, I accidentaly selected 1066MHz RAM (I remember you could choose 1333MHz for i7 CPUs). I think XMP profiles work only with Kingston HyperX?

OK. No. Freaking. Way. Intel® Core (ark.intel.com)

Intel® Core™ i7-620M Processor

(4M Cache, 2.66 GHz)

Memory Specifications
Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 8 GB
Memory Types DDR3-800/1066

This CPU actually doesn't support DDR3 1333. Serves me right for trusting Dell. The funny part is, 1333 MHz memory that I could have chosen ($40 more) would then also downclock to the same clock! I remember it was specificly claimed it supported 1333 MHz on their configurator.

Fuck you, Dell.

OMG that's not right. They offered 1333mhz ram as an upgrade... That is low very low. I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma... my offer wouldn't have helped in that case. That's just not right. I thought core 2quad was 1066 and I-core brought 1333 with 1600 later. Dell is joined by Intels stupidity tooi as there's no reason that cpu shouldn't support 1333 some real marketing bull there.

Yep, they offered 1333 MHz and 1066 MHz RAM for a CPU that doesn't even support it. I accidentaly chose the latter... lol. Turns out if I (or whoever else) chose the more expensive 1333 MHz RAM on i7 620M it would have automatically downclock to 1066 MHz, since the CPU doesn't support it. (I know, if nothing it can be raised by OCing but that's not the point.)

I looked at the pricing for i7 920xm on eBay but its still $288, which IMO too expensive (especially since it only comes with 3 months warranty). So I think I'll just leave it at 1066 MHz for now. :-/