Interesting Comparison: Killer Wireless 1103 vs Intel WiFi 6300

Posted this on NBR, But figured you guys would be interesting in looking at it too. ;) Just found this review featuring the m17x r3 and a battle with the intel 6300 and the killer wireless 1103. Looks like the 1103 is the way to go for wireless gaming.(if you didn't know already). Looks like ill have to pick one up off ebay here soon. ;)

Killer Wireless-N 1103 Review: Can Qualcomm Take On Centrino?

• Thumbs Up 1

The tests and their results look quite in favor for Bigfoot Killer WiFi. However, I don't understand why they tested the latency the way they did. Why not fire up few online games and show by how much the actual ping differs? In these pictures, I see the increase can be from 3.6 to 7ms decrease in latency with Killer over Intel WiFi. With typical pings that I had in WoW (around 50ms US server) to League of Legends right now (~100ms), that's really not that big of an increase (about 7-14% for 50ms case). The difference looks quite big when the absolute values of latencies are single digit, which (I think) is actually pretty rare if you're gaming over the internet.

Question for thought. Is the difference going to be larger for 2.4GHz if you're using a wireless mouse (which would work on 2.4GHz). Interference on some mice can be pretty substantial, depending on the load, e.g. Logitech G7 barely works if you're downloading something over WiFi on the laptop where its hooked up.

I still think -- wired is the way to go for gaming. Especially since there aren't that many computers that can work long without ac power while gaming.

P.S. I edited your title to make it more clear what is the comparison about.

Edited by unreal25
  • Thumbs Up 1

looks like Intel is still a great card for $40 :) Their price is a little high. the killer looks like a very strong performer across the board.

Thanks for fixing the title :) I think I'm gonna snag one of the killer cards when I get a chance since the extra $20 seems worth it. The extra software will be nice to play with as well. :P

As to running things wired vs wireless, I use my razer orochi plugged in while gaming so I don't have to deal with the occasional interference from my phone or other device. I try to use Ethernet when I can, but in some places its just not possible to so while gaming. Either card would be a decent upgrade for my system anyway since I just have the stock dual antenna half card anyway. :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Edited by bigtonyman

Thanks for fixing the title :) I think I'm gonna snag one of the killer cards when I get a chance since the extra $20 seems worth it. The extra software will be nice to play with as well. :P

As to running things wired vs wireless, I use my razer orochi plugged in while gaming so I don't have to deal with the occasional interference from my phone or other device. I try to use Ethernet when I can, but in some places its just not possible to so while gaming. Either card would be a decent upgrade for my system anyway since I just have the stock dual antenna half card anyway. :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

does that mean you found the Killer card for much less than the $100+ they showed?

I heard the software is total crap but if you just install the driver itself and use it they work wonderfully atleast I think that's what I read :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah shipping to Alaska must cost as they need special trucks and drivers just to get frieght around... Lol I watched an episode of ice road truckers lol. Seriously though nice price Unreal that's one nice card for $40 same price as Intels 6300 :) why go Intel with those prices. I ordered a Seagate Mobile Drive from Avadirect and the order went fine for those considering avadirect.

shipping isn't to bad through amazon, especially if they offer free shipping. Newegg and Tigerdirect try to charge an arm and a leg for shipping though so that's why i'm kinda worried about ordering from Avadicrect. Guess it doesn't hurt to look into it at least. :)