Upgrading 770m to 880m in 2013 alienware 17.

As far as I remember all you need is a modded driver.

This link shows Aftermarket NV drivers, all thanks to J95!:

http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/6307-%5Balienware%5D-aftermarket-upgrades-driver-support-modded-inf.html

This video should prove useful:

If you already got the card, then good luck.

If not, I advise you to stay away from the 880M. Too many throttling/overheating issues, to the point that Dell downgraded GPUs under warranty to the 780M!!

As far as I remember all you need is a modded driver.

This link shows Aftermarket NV drivers, all thanks to J95!:

http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/6307-%5Balienware%5D-aftermarket-upgrades-driver-support-modded-inf.html

This video should prove useful:

If you already got the card, then good luck.

If not, I advise you to stay away from the 880M. Too many throttling/overheating issues, to the point that Dell downgraded GPUs under warranty to the 780M!!

Thanks for the help. I was under the impression that the svl7 vbios fixed the throttling issues? I also ordered the 3 pipe heatsink and R4 11.4cfm gpu fan to replace the stock <2 cfm fan, so I'm not too concerned with heat.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the help. I was under the impression that the svl7 vbios fixed the throttling issues? I also ordered the 3 pipe heatsink and R4 11.4cfm gpu fan to replace the stock <2 cfm fan, so I'm not too concerned with heat.

I'm currently doing the same to my AW17, just have not ordered the fan yet. I read on another forum that the built in AW fan tables might not let the 11.4CFM fan's rpm go beyond what the stock fan could do. How is your one behaving, do you get heaps more airflow over the stock fan?