Mx15 with 7970m install problems

Hello guys. Great research here. I am having problems with a 7970m. Installed card and the screen has 2 vertical (wide) bands up and down display. Boot into safe mode and the screen has columns of lines which looks like checkerboard? reboot and I get a blue screen sometimes black. Any advice is appreciated. I was told the card had undervolted Dell vbios but I'm new to this type of installs. Flashed bios to a09 on MX15 Thank again

Did the laptop work properly with another card? If so then it sounds like the card is damaged. AMD cards tend to have a fragile solder BGA.

See if the card displays properly on an external screen. If it does then your screen or LCD cable is likely bad or needs reseating. If it doesn't then the card is bad.

+1 - But unfortunately there is no monitor cable associated with the GPU install process as it's connected to the motherboard on the top side of the system.

If the system was working fine with another card installed, then we have to either consider the install isn't 100% or we have a problematic card. I'd start by removing the card and redoing the instillation. Sometimes just re-seating the card can resolve some weird issues. Good time to make sure that the thermal compound install was 100% and the thermal pads are placed on the memory and capacitors since you are ripping it apart. Ensure you removed the old drivers and installed the newest ones from amd.com.

If you still have the issues, I'd contact the individual you got the card from and start looking into a replacement for your defective one. If you're flat out stuck with it, people have gotten lucky resurrecting them by throwing them in the oven.... But do your research before you start playing bakery.

• 1 month later...