M15x is confirmed to be working with Windows 8

coolwave911

Hi,

Can anyone please post a step-by-step on how to mod an inf file for the GTX 660M on M15x. The reason being I once found a thread on how to add the value to the inf and it was very easy and informative. I recently upgraded to Win8 and the driver stopped working so I'm looking for a way to get it to work again.

This is my Hardware ID:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FD4&SUBSYS_02A21028&REV_A1

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FD4&SUBSYS_02A21028

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FD4&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FD4&CC_0300

If anyone got the same configuration to work on Win8 then please give me some details on how to do it

:)

UPDATE: My M15x is now working normal with Windows 8, it is safe to upgrade guys.

All you need to do is upgrade to Windows 8 then disable the driver signature check:

1. From the Metro Start Screen, open Settings (move your mouse to the bottom-right-corner of the screen and wait for the pop-out bar to appear, then click the Gear icon).
  2. Click ‘Change PC Settings’ which is down at the bottom of the right pop-out menu
  3. Click ‘General’.
  4. Scroll down, and click ‘Restart now’ under ‘Advanced startup’.
  5. Wait a bit.
  6. Click ‘Troubleshoot’.
  7. Click ‘Advanced Options’
  8. Click ‘Windows Startup Settings’
  9. Click Restart.
  10. After it restarts then just follow the instructions on how to disable the driver enforcement

Now manually reinstall the graphic driver using the "clean install" option and you should be good to go gaming on Windwos 8 :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Turns out it was the driver signature check. Thanks to svl7 for reminding me about this as I was completely unaware that Win8 now will terminate the installation of unsigned driver without even asking you! So I can confirm that the Alienware M15x with GTX 660M works fine with Windows 8, no issues at all. AlienFX and all custom functions are normal

Forum mods: Can you please update the thread title to "M15x is confirmed to be working with Windows 8" as my issue is now solved and this thread now can be used as a reference for people who has the same hardware to consider when upgrading to Win8.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm thinking to upgrade my m15x to win8 as well. How did you guys install all the drivers (graphic, wifi, bluetooth, etc.), and command center, fx software.

I gonna format everything and install the os so I need more info about the drivers whether it works or not.

I couldnt find any thing on google.

could you help me plz

thanks

Win8 can handle almost the drivers. You can manually download from the manufacturer's website if your drivers are missing. Win8 should be ok but i still prefer Win7 if you into gaming.

I'm thinking to upgrade my m15x to win8 as well. How did you guys install all the drivers (graphic, wifi, bluetooth, etc.), and command center, fx software.

I gonna format everything and install the os so I need more info about the drivers whether it works or not.

could you help me plz

thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just go to dell support website, enter your laptop tag and you will see all the drivers you need. I'm almost 100% sure that you will not find windows 8 drivers, but the ones for win 7 work well on win8. I have windows 8 installed on my m15x for a few months now and like it, gaming is not affected in any way, I did not encounter any problems with it, it boots faster than windows 7.

If it's the first time you are reinstalling windows and you want everything to look the same as before, google: "restore the alienware look and feel"

could you help me plz

thanks

Just go to dell support website, enter your laptop tag and you will see all the drivers you need. I'm almost 100% sure that you will not find windows 8 drivers, but the ones for win 7 work well on win8. I have windows 8 installed on my m15x for a few months now and like it, gaming is not affected in any way, I did not encounter any problems with it, it boots faster than windows 7.

If it's the first time you are reinstalling windows and you want everything to look the same as before, google: "restore the alienware look and feel"

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running Win8.1 on my M15x just fine with a little tweaking, and one big problem remaining. Other than that, it's running REALLY well.

Most of the drivers I needed were picked up just fine during a clean install of the OS install. Dell's drivers on the site for the Alienware OSD stuff and some peripherals were fine, even though the video drivers and some other's were out of date. Nvidia's site fixed that fine.

The real problem I have remaining is with the Broadcom Wireless 370 Bluetooth Mini-card, which the Dell driver's won't work with on Windows 8.1, and Broadcom's site won't detect the hardware correctly. Any advice would be welcomed.

I'm running Win8.1 on my M15x just fine with a little tweaking, and one big problem remaining. Other than that, it's running REALLY well.

Most of the drivers I needed were picked up just fine during a clean install of the OS install. Dell's drivers on the site for the Alienware OSD stuff and some peripherals were fine, even though the video drivers and some other's were out of date. Nvidia's site fixed that fine.

The real problem I have remaining is with the Broadcom Wireless 370 Bluetooth Mini-card, which the Dell driver's won't work with on Windows 8.1, and Broadcom's site won't detect the hardware correctly. Any advice would be welcomed.

I'm interested in this outcome also. Have tried Win 8 on my desktop and wasn't impressed. Perhaps 8.1 may change my mind.