Nvidia 470m & M15x - clock issue

svl7

So, since I run out of ideas to get the 470m working in the Asus G73JW, I put it in my 470m.

The first who tried to get this card working in the M15x was @iloveb00bs, the card worked, but only didn't go to 3d clocks, it just stayed at 2d mode...

I experience the same issue, so I modified the vbios and changed the 2d clocks to 3d clock, same with the voltage.

The result... the card goes to 3d clocks, yes... but as soon as there's load on the card, e.g. when I open a game, the voltage goes back to 2d mode, as well as the clocks. :53_002:

You can see this behaviour in this screenshot of GPU-Z and HWinfo32:

470mclocksm15x.th.png

Any ideas?

Btw: The fan control works... lol :D And it seems I can't use overclocking tools to set the clocks.

Edited by svl7
  • Thumbs Up 2

You also modified the 2D voltage in the bios and the same thing happened. Is ulps disabled... that may not have anthing to do with it... seems strange I wonder if you change all clocks and voltages to the 3D clocks and voltage if it will fix it. Haven't adjusted a Nvidia Vbios myself... But for ATI in RBE editor I know there are atleast 6profiles, 3D, 2D, overheating, Media like for movies, and more maybe if every profile says the same mhz and voltage.

Edited by mw86

I haven't a lot of experience with Nvidia VBIOS myself, but I've only seen three profiles... 3d clocks, lower 3d clocks and 2d clocks. I changed the 2d clocks and voltage to 3d clocks. But since it still got back to 2d clocks (annoyingly during load, lol) there must still be some information about the 2d clocks, there's no other explanation. I mean the card has to look up the clocks somewhere... and I really doubt it's saved somewhere in a different way or hardware-bound.

If anyone has more experience with Nvidia cards and Nvidia VBIOS let me know!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hehe, seems I got it working, but I'll need to test it a bit more... Only played a couple of minutes CoD on 3d clocks, framerate seemed to be ok.

The 3d clocks (P15) seem to be useless... the system only reads the "lower 3d clocks" and the 2d clocks. With changing P7 I got it to work. Had to test quite a bit until I figured it out, I'm a noob with Nvidia cards, lol :D.

Here's the guide.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, well... I guess I would've been faster if I had more experience with Nvidia cards.

But I'm still having issues with overclocking the card. At least GPU-Z doesn't show any change in the clock speed, only memory and shader, no matter whether I use Nvidia Inspector or a modified vbios.

I did a quick vantage with the shader at 1270MHz (stock 1070) which would mean 635MHz core (instead of 535). GPU-Z only reported the higher shader and memory (1600 instead of 1500), the shader was still at stock according to it. Nevertheless I got about 180 points more in vantage... but I guess it should the performance gain should be more with a 100MHz increase in core speed, so my guess is that it unfortunately gets reported correctly and the core really stays at the stock value.

What I'm unsure about is, whether it even works having the shader at a higher value than the core...?? I though the core / shader ratio needed to be 1:2, but not lower. Like I said, I still have to learn a lot about the Nvidia card, if someone has more experience and some thoughts to share about this it would be greatly appreciated.

It's already very, very late here, I'll do more research tomorrow if I find time. Hopefully I'll be able to get some more information about the "Fermi Clocks" tool in nibitor, maybe I can at least OC the card per vbios if I know exactly what each number stands for. So far I only now the basic stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

I see like AMD locks the Shader frequency to that of the core frequency.... but I thought on Nvidia you can change all three frequencies and they don't need to be in a ratio... atleast back long ago that's what I did on an old aging GT130M lol.

The creator of nibitor wasn't able to help me either so far, I guess I'll have to do another session of GPU flashing in the style of hit and miss to see whether I can get it working somehow. If anyone has more information about all the entries in the "Fermi clocks" tool of nibitor, please let me know... :D

I did a lot of flashing and testing, luckily the card is still alive, hahahaha :D

But that's about all of the good news so far. I tried changing several values in the vbios, but I can't get the core up... it's all a big mysterium for me.

-The standard clocks should be 535 core and 1070 shader (at 3d clocks). I changed the "lower 3d clocks" to 3d clocks in order to make it working at those clocks. This worked pretty good, as I reported a while ago, but the core gets reported as 540MHz (instead of 535, no idea why...!?!?) The shader gets reported correctly.

-When I overclock the card with a modded vbios, GPU-Z tells me the increased shader clock, as expected, but the core is still at 540MHz. The problem is that generall the shader has to be twice the core... and some tests with vantage confirms this. Even though the shader gets reported as 1300MHz I don't get an improvement in vantage. This means the core stays at 540MHz... but why?? Where does this number come from? What tells the card to go to 540 MHz?

I have no idea...

To sum it up:

When I flash these values - 535/1070/1500 0.94V - I get 540/1070/1500 0.94V reported by GPU-Z. About 9k vantage.

When I flash - 650/1300/1600 0.99V - I get 540/1300/1600 0.99V reported by GPU-Z, still 9k vantage.... aarrrrgggghh!!!

Any idea? Lol :D

Another update... some vbios flashes and BSODs later GPU-Z now reports the core clock as 810MHz (instead of the desired 705 MHz) and the shader as 1410 MHz (as set in the vbios).

Did some testing with vantage and it was all laggy and didn't run smooth at all... so the core isn't really at 810MHz or something else is wrong.

I also tried to set the shader to 1620MHz with nvidia inspector, in order to have the 1:2 ratio, but the results were the same.

I don't really have any ideas left, I guess I'll end up selling this card without having successfully overclocked it... hmmm, that's not satisfying.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps the problem is a bios code that has a limiter on the core. Could other vbios versions from different manufacturers lend a hand in unlocking that core limit?

There are no other versions of this card, only Clevo sells systems with the 470m. My guess is that there's more in the vbios, something is limiting the card. Probably it also has something to do with the system BIOS since the card doesn't use the 3d clocks at all. I have no idea. The performance of this card could be pretty amazing. With an overvolt and a nice overclock you should get about 6970m stock performance, maybe more.

• Thumbs Up 1