460m vbios flash help

pewpewbangbang

So I'm trying to flash the vbios from dell, I put it onto a USB bootable stick and since it's an iso it should start up and do whatever it does immediately. Only problem is, nothing happens and I get stuck with a command line. There's no way to extract the .rom or anything as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't even show up.

Can anyone help?

If anything, does anyone have the 460m .rom vbios. If not, I read in an Asus forum, the guy flashed his laptop with a 560m vbios and it worked on his 460m. Should I try flashing that Asus 560m.rom on my Dell 460m? or is it just not gonna work

I want to flash an updated vbios because I'm getting throttling when playing. 920xm + 460m all stock

Yes, it's very weird. There's literally only a readme file if you look in the vbios.iso or extract it.

Your link to make the bootable usb configured as CD BOOT doesn't work. Maybe I will try that though.

Edit: nvm that wasn't a link haha.....I'm trying Hirens CD BOOT, not sure if that's what I should be doing but it pops up a lot in my searches so I'm gonna try it

Jk, Hirens isn't what I want

Do you have any links on how to make it a CD BOOT??

I don't know if this is the way you did it but this is the way I do it

Insert the flash-drive and open command prompt as admin

write:

diskpart

select disk 1 If disk 1 is your usb drive, type the correct number otherwise

clean

create partition primary

select partition 1

active

format fs=fat32 quick

assign

exit

Now you'll need a windows installation iso or a dvd to mount or insert.

Open elevated command prompt again and write the assigned letter to your dvd bay like e: for example, then write: cd boot then bootsect /nt60 h: If h: is the assigned letter of your usb drive.

• Thumbs Up 1

I got an error BOOTMNGR is missing after I tried booting from USB stick

Is it a problem with the USB stick itself? I used it to download windows before as well as flash Mobo BIOS

After I did all you set (I put in the windows 7 alienware restore disc) and then did the cd bootsect to my thumb drive. I then just drag over the iso image of the 460m bios from dell right?

Yes, it's very weird. There's literally only a readme file if you look in the vbios.iso or extract it.

Nope, there's much more in there... flash application and vbios for example :P

I extracted and attached the vbios. Flash per nvflash and you're fine. Here's a guide which describes how to flash a vbios per nvflash.

Dell 460m - 70.06.3B.00.08.zip

• Thumbs Up 1

Nope, there's much more in there... flash application and vbios for example :P

I extracted and attached the vbios. Flash per nvflash and you're fine.

May i ask how exactly did you do that ?? there's a new vbios which i need to install and i am facing the same situation (i just see 1 "readme" file).

And if i try burning the iso, it burns, but when i insert the disc back again, it shows empty :miserable:. Tried burning on other pcs, using different disks and downloaded the file thrice, same problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Either you don't have a Dell card (Clevo cards might use a slightly different board), or there are different Dell revisions of the card (rather unlikely if you ask me).

Another possibility is that you do have a Dell card but are running it with a vbios of a different board, that would cause this error as well.

You can force the flash, but I can't guarantee that you have the proper vbios for your card...

Dump and upload your current vbios, as well as the one you want to flash.

I wanted to flash the latest official one from Dell. I found the iso on Dell's site, is that the same as the one you posted earlier in this thread? Also, how did you get it? When I download the official iso I cannot seem to find any roms in it. I will upload my rom now.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the vBios currently on the card.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the vBios from the Dell site. I havent been able to get a rom file out of that iso though.

460MORIG.zip

GTX460M_vbios_A02.zip

Well interesting, you got a Dell vbios, but the newer one has a different board ID, and also comes with a higher default voltage. I can't guarantee that it will work flawlessly, but I assume there won't be any issues.

Well interesting, you got a Dell vbios, but the newer one has a different board ID, and also comes with a higher default voltage. I can't guarantee that it will work flawlessly, but I assume there won't be any issues.

So do I just use a -5 switch with nVFlash to flash this?

• 8 months later...
Thank you....all I really needed was the 460m.rom

completed and all went smoothly, now have the updated vbios

Now lets see if I still get throttling in even simple games like CS:GO

How did you install the Rom for the card? I think I might be having the same issue, When ever I install the card it just beeps once. Beep chart states CMOS or Rom Corruption, but without the card installed it works perfectly on integrated graphics.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi I have the same Problem here. I use a M15x with a dell card which is underclocked to 570/1140. My DVD drive is broken so i can not update via the Dell iso. If I use NVinspector i can cange the clocks manually but it will run the Card with .9v not .95v (not changeable) so I fear i will damage the board.

You can flash the vbios per nvflash from within windows or per USB drive from DOS.

Or you use the Dell iso and make a bootable USB stick with rufus. I guess at least one of your USB ports is working ;)