[Mod] Voltage increase Nvidia GT 555M

EDIT by svl7:

***Voltage mod for the Nvidia GT 555m of the M14x:***

The Nvidia GT 555m VBIOS of the M14x got extracted, modified and repacked into the BIOS, click here to for the BIOS file and all the details.

Original post:

Hey there, i want to increase my volt of the NV GPU a little bit, does any one know a way to doing this ??

I think about Nibitor, or some kind of Voltage regulation Software like the Afterburner... Have the M14X a Voltage regulator that can be Software controlled or is a BIOS Mod needed ??

Hopefully someone know... i search for days on the www and found nothing...

greetz and thanks

Edited by svl7
Added link to modified BIOS, adjusted thread title
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

So far the recent nVidia and ATi GPUs do not have voltage control built in. If it's not there, no software control will function since it's hardwired.

@Neo - Thanks for posting! I have already chatted with DavyGT and others and so far their is not a way written into the NV bios to allow voltage modification. Any change will most likely have to be on hardware. With overclocks at over 30 percent I doubt you will be able to push much more but If I feel confident of the hardware and we get schematics I might try... might..

So far the recent nVidia and ATi GPUs do not have voltage control built in. If it's not there, no software control will function since it's hardwired.

The VBIOS usually provides some limited form of voltage control. The GT540M supports over and undervolting from .98v to 1v and .93v, respectively, for example.

@Neo - Thanks for posting! I have already chatted with DavyGT and others and so far their is not a way written into the NV bios to allow voltage modification. Any change will most likely have to be on hardware. With overclocks at over 30 percent I doubt you will be able to push much more but If I feel confident of the hardware and we get schematics I might try... might..

Pushing is what we modders and overclockers do. We will never know until we try. We don't need the schematics, only a keen eye on the motherbboard to vmod.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hy Guys... ok it seems i have to disassemble the whole notebook... maybe there is a way to solder some fixed value resistor to increase the voltage a little bit or something... As I understand.... there is NO WAY to increase the Voltage in BIOS... How do you extract it ??? GPU-Z doesent work....

The GPU is not on its limit... 30 % increasement is a good value... This GPU has a great potential and its not used... thats a shame...

@Neo - DavyGT is probably the best at determining what would need to be soldered to what. I took some pics when I reapplied new paste last weekend but I wont have time to tear it down again this weekend. Too many stresses around the house... sorry.

would be great if you can post the pics... determine should be no problem... modded a lot of Mainboards and GPUs in the past... maybe DavyGT and I are able to find a solution... but we need the pics... would be great if you can post them... btw: I will replace the cooling paste next week... xD so if you have no time to post the pics... no worry.... xD

Edited by n3ocort3x

Nice to see you DavyGT!!!!! Welcome to T|I

Hope to see you post here often. it's a lot more LAX than the other place.

Welcome to T|I DavyGT glad you've joined the discussion.

Thanks guys.

would be great if you can post the pics... determine should be no problem... modded a lot of Mainboards and GPUs in the past... maybe DavyGT and I are able to find a solution... but we need the pics... would be great if you can post them... btw: I will replace the cooling paste next week... xD so if you have no time to post the pics... no worry.... xD

I seen the pics already. I haven't spotted the voltage regulator from them. You should try taking the pics.

ok, i will dissasemle the notebook after the weekend and have a look at it... No VR ??? that seems strange to me... I also want to have a look at the BIOS.... is there a way to extract it ?? can somebody explain me how to do that... ??

yeah but the question is: Is the BIOS of the GPU integrated in the System BIOS ?? I don´t think so... normally the GPU has it´s own bios and you can simple download it in GPU-Z... but GPU-Z only shows a BIOS for the INTEL GPU... and this one is locked so you can´t extract it from the CHIP...

The GPU is integrated on the mobo, chances are that the vbios is part of the system bios. That's easier to implement for the manufacturer. They don't need a way to the load the vbios at startup and they don't need to use a separate ROM chip for the vbios.

If this is the case changing anything at the vbios would need quite some bios disassembling skills. (And some balls to test it after modding...)

If it is indeed the vbios is part of the system bios, we can probably have some luck over at the bios-mods.com forums...

Look what they were able to do for the folks who had the M17x R2

Alienware M17x-R2 A10 BIOS Unlocked OC Options

@svl7 I see you've been there already lol

Edited by TitanGod
  • Thumbs Up 2

If it is indeed the vbios is part of the system bios, we can probably have some luck over at the bios-mods.com forums...

Look what they were able to do for the folks who had the M17x R2

Alienware M17x-R2 A10 BIOS Unlocked OC Options

@svl7 I see you've been there already lol

Yeah, I was asking about a M15x mod a while ago... :D

Hey if they will mod our bios I will be happy to buy them beer and pizza!

Same here, in case I see a M15x mod :D

The Wiz's mod was nice... but it takes a lot to develop a modified bios from a locked one and there hasn't even been word of a second revision.. so it may be awhile before you see anything at all if there even will be.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Wiz's mod was nice... but it takes a lot to develop a modified bios from a locked one and there hasn't even been word of a second revision.. so it may be awhile before you see anything at all if there even will be.

Thank you for finding out for us! Guess we just gotta keep our hopes up for the best.

Well if you make some rucus over there and there's enough of you it's more likely to manifest itself. It's not to say there won't be more work on these soon.