USB issues

Hi guys ! sorry for posting something nearly offtopic here but no one could help me anywhere else in the webs forumworld since its a pro problematic. I recently got my M14x R2 and the "Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver" crashes my USB 2.0 so i get hangups, bsods and freezes when i plug in an audio interface or usb hub. Only a wireless desktop directly plugged in works when this USB 3.0 driver is installed.

When i uninstall the driver everything works fine but i only have USB 2.0 speed on the 2 USB 3.0 ports and one unknown device which is the USB 3.0 controller in the device manager. This problem is not specific to my laptop, many other also have this problem that they cant use usb hubs or external audio interfaces.

Since you guys are the most pro people i know and it must have something to do with the Dell BIOS A03 for the M14x R2 maybe you got a clue what could be the problem and why we M14x R2 owners cant use audio interfaces and usb hubs :(.

Sorry again for kinda offtopic and congratz to your VBIOS mod svl7!

@Thanats - I need to see if I can recreate the problem. I am work until much later but I will plug in an USB hub and see if works. I have everything installed and its not the standard DELL install but my own fresh install on the Intel 320 SSD Sata #.

- - - Updated - - -

@Thanats - I need to see if I can recreate the problem. I am work until much later but I will plug in an USB hub and see if works. I have everything installed and its not the standard DELL install but my own fresh install on the Intel 320 SSD Sata #.

Any news on your test Steven? Here is a link of someone in the native forum with the same problem i have. --> Alienware m14x R2 + Kontrol S4 = no go! - NI User Forums

Maybe it helps you searching for the problem. I hope its fixable by a Bios Update or anything otherwise we would be doomed to either have Sata III speed or a functional USB 2.0 port for external devices.

Sounds like the usb3 driver. I read if issues in my M18x and i know usb wont even function over those usb3 ports when the driver isnt installed. I know i have a device or so that hates those ports so ive been sticking with my usb2 ports unless i found i absolutly needed the usb 3 but honestly have avoided those prts like the plague since. Im sure Steven will be able to give more info on this but. Figured i coukd share my prob with usb 3

Sounds like the usb3 driver. I read if issues in my M18x and i know usb wont even function over those usb3 ports when the driver isnt installed. I know i have a device or so that hates those ports so ive been sticking with my usb2 ports unless i found i absolutly needed the usb 3 but honestly have avoided those prts like the plague since. Im sure Steven will be able to give more info on this but. Figured i coukd share my prob with usb 3

Ok i found it out by myself. And the M18x has an additional Bus Controller for the ports, the M14x R2 doesnt. The problem is Intel USB 3.0 driver doesnt work native when there are other non USB 3.0 ports and the Panther Point needs either fixed drivers or like the M18x an additional Bus Controller to manage all ports.

Intel does not plan to fix their drivers as i could see in their errata non fix list for june and let the Notebook brands alone to solve this issue. Since Dell doesnt care for their customers it seems the M14x R2 stays broken portwise. Maybe it gets an upgrade in a later revision such as a Bus Controller that can handle the port issue.

At the moment we can either use USB 3.0 speed or the USB 2.0 port not both together. :23_002:

• Thumbs Up 2

I was reading about this on Notebook Review myself and so far (thankfully!) have not yet had any problems...I've kept my joypad and trackball on the 2.0/left side, and plugged in my Toshiba USB 3.0 drive on the right. The nice thing about that drive is it's backwards compatible either way, blue light for 3.0 speed and white for 2.0 ports. I've got some major Skyrim backups to port from my m11x to my m14x, so I hope mine works.

Hello, try this out: Link

If that doesn't do it, try Intel's driver

Also you could disable the USB 3.0 Power Mangement functions in the Device Manager

Thanks for trying to help its much appreciated but i cant see where this has something to do with the USB 2.0 external devices issue when the Intel USB 3.0 driver is installed.

Not even uninstalling everything with USB 3.0 in the device manager helps... only workaround is to uninstall the driver in the standard software folder (dunno the word in english but where all the software is listed that is installed on the notebook or pc).

However Dell forgot to install a controller or something in the M14x R2 as it was in the R1 (Renesas USB 3.0 Controller). Thats what i read in other forums. The Intel driver will probably never work native for our notebooks.

Thanks for trying to help its much appreciated but i cant see where this has something to do with the USB 2.0 external devices issue when the Intel USB 3.0 driver is installed.

Not even uninstalling everything with USB 3.0 in the device manager helps... only workaround is to uninstall the driver in the standard software folder (dunno the word in english but where all the software is listed that is installed on the notebook or pc).

However Dell forgot to install a controller or something in the M14x R2 as it was in the R1 (Renesas USB 3.0 Controller). Thats what i read in other forums. The Intel driver will probably never work native for our notebooks.

If thats the case im really sorry to hear there is no fix. Did you try the driver tjoigh or the intel one or the power saving off as suggested if theres a chance of a fix its worth trying.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello, try this out: Link

If that doesn't do it, try Intel's driver

Also you could disable the USB 3.0 Power Mangement functions in the Device Manager

Hello Frank welcome to Tech Inferno its a pleasure to have you on board. I hope you find your way around fine. Its nice to have an Alienware presence here. I spoke to Mark your team leader and setup a chat with Brian our site owner and am so pleased to hear you guys will be getting accounts setup and you guys and a girl will be frequenting here when possible. Welcome to Tech Inferno again Frank your advise is very appreciated.

- MW86 -ResidualVoltage -Marc

Hi mw86 ofc its nice to have some representives from Alienware here. Sadly there is no fix at all. The power saving settings has nothing to do with this issue i also deactivated the LPM settings for my SSD and other tools. The problems mainly occur if you are into music production, djing or just very audiophile so you need an external audio interface with better quality and outputs than the integrated sound chip. Since the Intel drivers cant handle data like realtime high quality audio or video signals via USB cause of the limited bandwith and many bugs they still have the Intel driver causes the M14x R2 to bsod.

If Dell had integrated the Renesas Controller like in the M14x R1 there would be no problem at all cause i got a R1 and it works perfect. However this makes the R2 perfect for gaming only but not for proffessional audio or video producing or even djing. The R1 is good then for older games and proffessional audio and video producing, djing and vjing.

Sad that we cant have the simple stuff working in the new system and it should be a shame for the Alienware team that they are not even trying to get it solved. We only get the useless uninstall this or try this answers that have nothing to do with the problem at all. Its the same as with the hotlin. They dont know much about their own products and ask you to reinstall windows or drivers again and again no matter what problem you told them youre having. They are so ignorant following their down written standard text but to try to understand what the customers is even telling them.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi mw86 ofc its nice to have some representives from Alienware here. Sadly there is no fix at all the power saving settings has nothing to do with this issue i also deactivated the LPM settings for my SSD and other tools. The problems mainly occur if you are into music production, djing or just very audiophile so you need an external audio interface with better quality and outputs than the integrated sound chip. Since the Intel drivers cant handle data like realtime high quality audio or video signals via USB cause of the limited bandwith and many bugs they still have the Intel driver causes the M14x R2 to bsod.

If Dell had integrated the Renesas Controller like in the M14x R1 there would be no problem at all cause i got a R1 and it works perfect. However this makes the R2 perfect for gaming only but not for proffessional audio or video producing or even djing. The R1 is good then for older games and proffessional audio and video producing, djing and vjing.

Sad that we cant have the simple stuff working in the new system and it should be a shame for the Alienware team that they are not even trying to get it solved. We only get the useless uninstall this or try this answers that have nothing to do with the problem at all. Its the same as with the hotlin. They dont know much about their own products and ask you to reinstall windows or drivers again and again no matter what problem you told them youre having. They are so ignorant following their down written standard text but to try to understand what the customers is even telling them.

I have a lot to learn of the other systems out there so this was a lesson for me. I think like you said as the m14x r1 had that usb controler and m18x has it so should M14x R2.

Has anyone tried a USB 2.0 hub or even a 3.0 hub? I should grab one from work and experiment.

That doesnt work too. The problem lies in the incompatibility of Intels USB 3.0 drivers to 2.0 devices. Its not backwards compatible as they stated it should be.

The exact problem is the so called "isochronous streaming" which is only compatible to USB 2.0. Every audio interface brand or external devices with this realtime streaming over USB 2.0 uses this technology to not having latency issues.

Since this problem only occurs with Intels USB 3.0 drivers and not with other brands like Renesas, NEC the notebooks and desktop PCs with an Intel Controller cause these bsods and panic modes when connected with these external devices.

USB 2.0 Mouse or Keyboard, Controllers mostly do not cause bsods when plugged to the USB 2.0 ports cause its supported within the Intel Drivers. But USB 2.0 devices dont work when it comes to data streaming from them.

Intel is not interested in fixing this issue at all and they still say their USB 3.0 native by chipset is backwards compatible... Dell is not even aware or doesnt care since they can point their finger to Intels faulty USB 3.0 drivers. Its no ones fault in the end but we customers have to deal with it.

Dell could easily solve this if they would integrate a Renesas USB 3.0 controller into the M14x R2 mainboards like they did in the M14x R1 but i have a feeling they will never do that. :50_002:

• Thumbs Up 1

Too bad there's not a separate slot or interface to put a Renesas controller in, like in a desktop platform. I guess that's one disadvantage to a laptop- there's no PCI card slot. As old as the format is, I wish we had some kind of PCMCIA bus solution for add-ins. But I guess that would defeat the purpose of high speed USB 3.0 wouldn't it?

Guest Alienware-Frank_L

I must had scan thru the text a little to fast, I am sorry, didn't mean to sound robotic.

I know a VJ/DJ who has an M14xR2 and is very happy about it, I could ask him and come back.

I must had scan thru the text a little to fast, I am sorry, didn't mean to sound robotic.

I know a VJ/DJ who has an M14xR2 and is very happy about it, I could ask him and come back.

I dont think he is very happy with its M14x R2 and i know alot of artists who are also unhappy with these issues (some are using new MBP`s with Ivy Bridge). Still waiting for a clear statement from Dell / Alienware about this problem...

4 days ago now you wanted to ask your friend. What did he said about the M14x R2 cant handle "isochronous streaming" which is needed for every audio / video interface for djing / producing or vjing. Its USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 compatible but not USB 3.0 yet. And USB 3.0 is not downwards compatible with 2.0 in all aspects. Dell was aware of this and integrated a controller chip from Renesas in the M14x R1 so this notebook had no issues.

My big question for you as a Dell representive is now: Why is there no such cheap controller integrated in the R2 when Dell knew about the incompatibility of Intels USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 devices such as audio interfaces due to the lack of the "isochronous streaming" capabilitys?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

I'm curious about the lack of backward compatibility as well. Hopefully [MENTION=4186]Alienware-Frank_L[/MENTION] can ask around about it and possibly shed some light on the issue.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Guest Alienware-Frank_L
I dont think he is very happy with its M14x R2 and i know alot of artists who are also unhappy with these issues (some are using new MBP`s with Ivy Bridge)

I am sorry, I was just quoting him.

What did he said about the M14x R2 cant handle "isochronous streaming"

He hasn't replied to me yet, he is a customer so I'm sure he is busy

My big question for you as a Dell representive is now: Why is there no such cheap controller integrated in the R2 when Dell knew about the incompatibility of Intels USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 devices such as audio interfaces due to the lack of the "isochronous streaming" capabilitys?

Capabilities on the M14x R2 are very Gaming Orientated, I know people use Alienware to do VJ/DJ but the systems are not built with that in mind.

I'll see if I can find more information. I've seen some people Djing with M14xR2; maybe you could do a little more research on that and let us know.

Ps. Some people are posting pictures on Alienware's FB page, you could ask them as well

I am sorry, I was just quoting him.

He hasn't replied to me yet, he is a customer so I'm sure he is busy

Capabilities on the M14x R2 are very Gaming Orientated, I know people use Alienware to do VJ/DJ but the systems are not built with that in mind.

I'll see if I can find more information. I've seen some people Djing with M14xR2; maybe you could do a little more research on that and let us know.

Ps. Some people are posting pictures on Alienware's FB page, you could ask them as well

Of course its possible to DJ etc. with the M14x R2 i posted a workaround in another forum. But uninstalling the USB 3.0 controller drivers degrates all ports to 2.0 ports which is very slow and outdated. The same works for MBRs but its not uninstalling drivers. You have to revert the OSX to an older version where no USB 3.0 drivers were integrated with the same result that you have only 2.0 speed on all ports.

At least you can use the M14x R2 or the MBR then for DJing and stuff but the data transfer is as slow as 4 years ago before the i cores were published. It should be a shame for every brand that this simple issue cant be solved and we are forced using 4 years old data transfer speed.

Guest Alienware-Frank_L
Of course its possible to DJ etc. with the M14x R2 i posted a workaround in another forum. But uninstalling the USB 3.0 controller drivers degrates all ports to 2.0 ports which is very slow and outdated. The same works for MBRs but its not uninstalling drivers. You have to revert the OSX to an older version where no USB 3.0 drivers were integrated with the same result that you have only 2.0 speed on all ports.

At least you can use the M14x R2 or the MBR then for DJing and stuff but the data transfer is as slow as 4 years ago before the i cores were published. It should be a shame for every brand that this simple issue cant be solved and we are forced using 4 years old data transfer speed.

OSX? Are you running on Apple OS software?

Uninstalling the USB doesn't seem to be a solution, as you said, is just a workaround that will degrade the system. Would any of the other ports work, DisplayPort-HDMI? Sorry this is not my field.

You could keep those drivers uninstalled; whenever you need to use 3.0, unplug all 2.0 peripherals and install the 3.0 controller... Use it, and once done, uninstall them, restart and plug all 2.0 devices back in.

Seems like a lot of work, but it appears viable to me in the mean time Intel gets a fix for it. Have you discussed that with them already?

Maybe test this: Link

Also install the driver(the one from the Dell Website), try to look under C:\WDM\ for a file named: AMBfilt64.sys

Copy that and paste it over 2 places:

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\

C:\Windows\system32\

Restart, and check

OSX? Are you running on Apple OS software?

Uninstalling the USB doesn't seem to be a solution, as you said, is just a workaround that will degrade the system. Would any of the other ports work, DisplayPort-HDMI? Sorry this is not my field.

You could keep those drivers uninstalled; whenever you need to use 3.0, unplug all 2.0 peripherals and install the 3.0 controller... Use it, and once done, uninstall them, restart and plug all 2.0 devices back in.

Seems like a lot of work, but it appears viable to me in the mean time Intel gets a fix for it. Have you discussed that with them already?

Maybe test this: Link

Also install the driver(the one from the Dell Website), try to look under C:\WDM\ for a file named: AMBfilt64.sys

Copy that and paste it over 2 places:

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\

C:\Windows\system32\

Restart, and check

Dude really... i thank you for the attempts to help but where shall i start to correct you?

Ok 1.), no im not running Apple OS software - im still on my M14x R2 with ofc Win 7.

2.) USB 3.0 driver uninstallation was my own posted workaround in my thread and yes im also using this but as you mentioned in nearly the same words i did its only a workaround and not very pleasing at all.

3.) The link you posted leads to the Renesas drivers .... this controller is not inside the R2 its in the R1. Thats what im so angry about Dell. So to make it more clear NO the RENESAS DRIVER IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE CURRENT HARDWARE IN THE M14X R2.

4.) You posted some kind of creative audio driver that has nothing to do with the USB Issues of the M14x R2... at all.

• Founder
Please Frank nothing personal but do your homework and maybe try again. Since your knowledge of the Alienware products only mirrors the overall competence of this company no more comments are needed i guess.

This tone isn't called for. I understand your frustration but taking it out on Frank isn't going to help anybody. If you work with him on the other hand, he might be able to escalate the issue to the relevant department in Dell and maybe figure out a solution together.

Sent from my ParanoidAndroid powered GNote

• Thumbs Up 3

This tone isn't called for. I understand your frustration but taking it out on Frank isn't going to help anybody. If you work with him on the other hand, he might be able to escalate the issue to the relevant department in Dell and maybe figure out a solution together.

Sent from my ParanoidAndroid powered GNote

Sorry for being offending Frank. Its just really frustrating as Michael said. Dell says its not their fault and Intel says we only talk to Dell our customer. Of course its not Franks fault that Dell / Alienware is not trying to solve this issue. But my point with my offending post was (maybe written a bit harsh) that it helps no one to get advises for a completly different problem again and again. Thats what made me freak out a bit.

• Founder
Sorry for being offending Frank. Its just really frustrating as Michael said. Dell says its not their fault and Intel says we only talk to Dell our customer. Of course its not Franks fault that Dell / Alienware is not trying to solve this issue. But my point with my offending post was (maybe written a bit harsh) that it helps no one to get advises for a completly different problem again and again. Thats what made me freak out a bit.

It's understandable, we've all been frustrated about something related to our systems at one point. Just look at M18x-R2 customers with 7970M Xfire as an example. However, if the hardware is no longer in the M14x-R2 to do what you need, then it's obvious Dell won't be able to do a whole lot to remedy the issue to your or other DJ's satisfaction. So you'll have to decide whether you want to use your workaround and disable USB 3.0 functionality while DJ'ing or simply cut your losses with the M14x-R2 and go back to the R1 or a different system altogether. Whatever the case, good luck.

Guest Alienware-Frank_L

Don't worry I understand, again I am sorry this really not my field but I am asking as much as I can. We came out with a new Bios for the M14xR2. Maybe you can try that one out?