Bios Flash Goes Wrong

kvadde

Hi I have a big problem. This is so that I would Flach a new ROM and they were wrong so when I start my computer so peep the whole time. Find the one guide how to restore the bios using a USB memory and a recovery file but the computer refuses to lived on usb, Are they some kind to help me or are they just throw away Datron now my warranty's gone thanks I have an A + v 05 unlock-modd

Here are the steps for recovering the current M14x BIOS:

- Rename the BIOS file you want to flash to "PALB0X64.fd", then copy it to the root of an USB drive (formatted FAT/FAT32)

- Remove the PSU and the battery from your system

- Plug in the prepared USB drive into the USB port on the left side (not an USB 3.0 port)

- Press and hold down the [END] key on the keyboard then plug in the power cable. The system should start the fans and begin the reflash. It'll beep quite a couple of times, just leave it doing all the stuff. Then it'll reboot several times.

Did you follow these steps? If not, try again. If it still doesn't work and you're out of warranty I still might be able to help you, but it'd require a hard flash or replacing the BIOS chip.

Edit: I attached the recovery file for flashing the unlocked A08 BIOS, just unpack it and copy it to the root of your USB drive.

M14x [unlocked] A08 recovery.zip

Edited by svl7
  • Thumbs Up 7

Have tried to put the file on the USB memory inserted it on the right side of the computer was down the end button fielded psu for it. What happens is that the computer just reboots until I release the End key then close it off

Edited by kvadde

Try all possible USB 2.0 ports, and follow the instructions step by step. If it doesn't work, try a different USB thumb drive.

I have never seen that it wasn't possible to revive a bad flashed M14x with this method...

How did you mess up your BIOS anyway? If the recovery method really doesn't work for you, then the EC might be totally messed up.

If you can't get it to work, you'll have to do the flash directly at the BIOS or replace the BIOS chip.

But you actually still have warranty, since Dell won't check your BIOS and you machine is definitely still covered by the 1 year warranty. Just call them in case you can't recover with the method posted above.

it was so that I could flash to A03 but got an error message and the computer was restarted. After they began Datron only Pippa. have tested 2x UDB memories the same results on both. download the file you attached oh unpacked it put it into the USB memory. I know that I put into the bios to no usb ports would be on when the Datron was the psu mode, they may be those who have destroyed so they can not cure with usb memory?

• Founder

A little help here cause I am lost

After they began Datron only Pippa.

who are Datron and Pippa?

have tested 2x UDB memories the same results on both.

what do you mean by UDB?

I know that I put into the bios to no usb ports would be on when the Datron was the psu mode, they may be those who have destroyed so they can not cure with usb memory?

what psu mode?

Edited by StamatisX

A little help here cause I am lost

who are Datron and Pippa?

what do you mean by UDB?

what psu mode?

sorry my englich datorn pipa in computer beep and psu is power cabel and ubd is usb stick

Added after 3 minutes:

i give up now i tried and tried but nothing happens i call dell tomorrow and hope service personal come home to me and fix it :) thx for all hepls dudes THX Uffe " sweden "

Edited by kvadde

Dell will replace your motherboard and you will be good to go. No worries :-)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

mow a have talk to dell support and a service person coming home to me tomorrow and change may mother board :) now am happy agin

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

i effed up the settings in my unlocked bios and it wouldnt boot just beeped 7 times. i just disconnected the cmos battery for a couple minutes and it ended up resetting everything. try that.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! A little help here please. Am in a bit of a soupcoz i had installed the unlocked A08 bios, made a few changes in the settings and then later tried to flash back to A01. The InsideFlash utility gave an error and m14x has been bricked now... I tried the steps above but then the laptop just keeps "beeping" and immediately turning off til i release the END key. Am I supposed to hold the END key till the laptop restarts? Any idea how long the whole process takes? Thee "beeps" dont really sound like beeps, rather mild "thuds" coming from the laptop... Am I doing something wrong here?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You just need to hold the END key until you plugged in the power cable and the laptop starts. Try clearing the CMOS memory before attempting the recovery. Sometimes if a flash doesn't complete properly it appears to be bricked but clearing can bring the cmos brings the system back to its normal state. So I recommend you first clear the CMOS (take out the battery & ac adapter, then do a power drain by pressing and holding down the power button for about 10-20 seconds and then remove the cmos battery for a couple of minutes), then try booting the system. If it still doesn't work try the recovery. Let me know whether it works.

• Thumbs Up 1

You just need to hold the END key until you plugged in the power cable and the laptop starts. Try clearing the CMOS memory before attempting the recovery. Sometimes if a flash doesn't complete properly it appears to be bricked but clearing can bring the cmos brings the system back to its normal state. So I recommend you first clear the CMOS (take out the battery & ac adapter, then do a power drain by pressing and holding down the power button for about 10-20 seconds and then remove the cmos battery for a couple of minutes), then try booting the system. If it still doesn't work try the recovery. Let me know whether it works.

Thanks a ton for the prompt reply sv7... Really appreciate it! Trying it right now... Hope to catch u in a couple of minutes! Hope i dont screw up the machine trying to take out the CMOS battery...

Well, it's the only easy way which may work. Check the service manual if you're not sure about how to disassemble the machine.

I see... Well then, will give it another shot... Guess will refers to Steven's thread on teardown/disassembly of the m14x... Will keep you posted!

Messed it up further :( dang, m bad with tools! Alienware onsite tech coming over (monday or tuesday) just to help with disassembly as i think i have screwed a few things up... @svl7 - Thanks for the help so far! will let you know how it went once am done resetting the CMOS!

Sorry to heaar that Gladiator i hope the techs dont give you a problem. I also hope the cmos memory being reset and full power drain helps. Its likely not bricked. Hang in there.

Alright, so alienware/dell refuses to help me, so i went ahead and disassembled the whole thing myself... disconnected the coin cell battery for a couple of minutes (didnt remove it from the blue plastic; hope that was the right thing to do..) and then reassembled the whole machine... tried booting up the machine, it would just keeping beeping forever... tried recovery via the steps stated earlier, but the machine goes off when i release the END key... think i have really messed up this time :(

Any thoughts or leads about what i can do next?? any other way anyone knows of??

As a side note, when you say copy the bios version you want to flash to, to the "root" of usb drive, you just mean format the usb drive (FAT/FAT32) and copy the bios file onto it, right??

Really desolate now :(

@mw86 - Thanks for the concern mate! feels good to know am not alone dealing in this problem here.. really think i messed it up bigtime as i tried reflashing the bios 3-4 times, each time it gave me an error...

Edited by gladiator

Alright, so alienware/dell refuses to help me, so i went ahead and disassembled the whole thing myself... disconnected the coin cell battery for a couple of minutes (didnt remove it from the blue plastic; hope that was the right thing to do..) and then reassembled the whole machine... tried booting up the machine, it would just keeping beeping forever... tried recovery via the steps stated earlier, but the machine goes off when i release the END key... think i have really messed up this time :(

Any thoughts or leads about what i can do next?? any other way anyone knows of??

As a side note, when you say copy the bios version you want to flash to, to the "root" of usb drive, you just mean format the usb drive (FAT/FAT32) and copy the bios file onto it, right??

Really desolate now :(

@mw86 - Thanks for the concern mate! feels good to know am not alone dealing in this problem here.. really think i messed it up bigtime as i tried reflashing the bios 3-4 times, each time it gave me an error...

to create the usb correctly follow directions here step 1 and 2 just you dont need the ATI stuff... http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/51-ati-amd-5870m-vbios-flash.html#post154 make a usb stick formatted as shown in that post then place the files you need for the flash on the usb stick. when i reset with the cmos battery all i do is remove it.... power system on beeps forever.... turn off put cmos battery back in and next power on bios is all stock default settings. then you proceed to try to do the flash as described by SVL7

• Thumbs Up 1

to create the usb correctly follow directions here step 1 and 2 just you dont need the ATI stuff... http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/51-ati-amd-5870m-vbios-flash.html#post154 make a usb stick formatted as shown in that post then place the files you need for the flash on the usb stick. when i reset with the cmos battery all i do is remove it.... power system on beeps forever.... turn off put cmos battery back in and next power on bios is all stock default settings. then you proceed to try to do the flash as described by SVL7

@mw86 - Thanks, and apologies for keeping you up til 1:30 AM solving my twisted case :D really appreciate it!

@mw86 - Thanks, and apologies for keeping you up til 1:30 AM solving my twisted case :D really appreciate it!
alas seems too much to be paying $700 for a new motherboard seems you should stand your ground and insist that the motherboard be replaced on warranty (even limited hardware warranty) @svl7 any thoughts on a M17x that wont flash blindly?